Saturday, July 12, 2008

the elusiveness of teaching

In case some of you didn't know, I've switched gears pursuing careers and I'm now on a quest to find a teaching position. I have spent the past year and several months spending time, effort, and money to get professionally certified to teach in Florida. Well, in March I finally earned my certificate. Low and behold, there are no teaching jobs in this county. Across the country the teacher shortage is nationally renown with states offering signing bonuses and competitive salaries. Alas, I live in the one county in all of the USA with a surplus of teachers and the lowest salary in all of Florida. Isn't it ironic, don't cha think?
It's been one crazy roller coaster. One minute they tell you there are plenty of positions; next they fire 153 teachers due to budget cuts; then they say they'll hire 90 for this coming academic year. It completely toys with my emotions.
I'm thinking professional housewife is sounding pretty tempting right about now...

2 comments:

kelsey said...

wow--they fired all those teachers just to hire over half as many again??? did they just want more on the base income level so they're cheaper? i hope you get a position, keep us posted. house pictures will be coming soon, i promise (it's too messy right now to photograph...)

Cameron said...

you know, i have no clue why they did that. although your theory makes sense. i'll let you know what happens on the job front.