Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ya ever feel like me?

My friend, Julie, who's teaching her first year, wrote the following on her blog:

"My student teaching is getting totally out of control. I'm so frustrated. I think that's all I work on, think about, dream about etc. etc...Although teaching is not really the type of field where comparing serves you well," - so very very true, Julie - "it would just be nice to know that others are in the same boat as me."

After thinking about her thoughts for a few moments, this was my comment to her:

"I AM TOTALLY IN YOUR EXACT SAME BOAT. It feels like I'm in a sinking dingy in the middle of a hurricane with every kind of sea predator there is lurking in the water while I'm feverishly trying to save the 20 10-year-olds on board from drowning. That's what teaching feels like to me. And the crazy thing is, I still like it (not the sinking feeling but the teaching part). I may have to post this..."

...if for no other reason then to prove that I am, indeed, crazy. Does this mean that I'm a masochist (at least my professional life)?

Hm.

No comments: