Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I've been commissioned

While Kevin's been off gallivanting with doctors about getting Lasik (which, by the way, he found out he's getting the Lasik surgery, not the one that uses blades), I've been hanging out at the Fisher House with the manager guy, Larry, and the housekeeper, Mary. Both are colorful people who are making the visit much more enjoyable than it otherwise might not have been. So Larry and I were chatting over breakfast and somehow I got commissioned to bake a cake for another guest's birthday. Easy peezy, no problem, I said. Then Mary decided that since I must be a great baker (this assessment of my ability was based on one observation of me making a Betty Crocker boxed mix cake, but whatever), so she commissioned me to make a pound cake. With Splenda (since she's diabetic). Great, I said. I've never made a pound cake, let alone with Splenda, but what the hey? I'll give it a try. Now, I am not a baking master, but I am aware that making a good pound cake is difficult. This little experiment will either yield a royal mess and much wasted time, ingredients and energy, or either you will see a photo of my creation proudly displayed on my blog. Stay tuned.

No comments: