Monday, November 23, 2009

Life Lesson

If you are lucky like I am, you will get to learn from life lessons the fun way (a.k.a. the hard way).

Case in point: My dad came to visit a week ago. He, Kevin, and I were in the kitchen getting breakfast ready on a leisurely weekend morning. Kevin and I were preparing the food, so my dad was sitting at the counter talking and watching. It was a pleasant, calm start to the day. While getting breakfast ready, my dad picks up my What to Expect When You're Expecting pregnancy journal and browses through some of the pages. Then he begins to laugh. For everyone's enjoyment, he reads aloud: "Do you find yourself thinking about sex, sex, sex? Are you hornier than a college boy?" Then he turns to another passage and reads aloud: "Are you finding hair growth in new places? Feeling like an ape?" (And yes, these are actual passages from the journal. Not my dad's words, but the book's words.) He proceeds to roar with laughter, which in turn, infects Kevin and me. We are all laughing at the descriptions. Then the laughter slowly dies out, and Kevin says, "Great. I'm married to a hungry, horny ape. I'm such a lucky man." And Kevin and Dad get a great laugh out of that.

Lesson: If you are pregnant, never ever leave any pregnancy-related reading material lying around that may be used as fuel for jokes by your father or husband.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I'll make a mental note of that. On a related note, when I was at the doctor's on Wendesday I saw a couple reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I thought, that's sweet. They laughed a little and I figured it was their first baby. Then they got up and walked away without the book. They'd just been laughing and pregnancy stuff. Your dad and husband are not the only ones laughing!