Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's official: My cloth diapering quest has begun.

If you don't already know, I hate baby/toddler/kid stuff. You know, the toys everywhere, the goofy clothes with stupid sayings, the enormous potential for the stuff to accumulate everywhere in all facets of your life. Don't get me wrong: I'm excited for our baby and I think baby things can be cute (like onesies and little diapers and hats). However, I absolutely refuse to let the baby stuff take over my house/home/car/life. (Note to all the mothers who I know will have a comment about this: I understand that there will be baby things in my house/home/car/life. I accept that. I just will not accept it taking over my life. I believe it is possible.) Anyway, so one thing that kills me is the amount of potential waste with kid stuff. Babies grow so fast that everything only lasts a few months before they outgrow or no longer need everything. So in my ardent determination to minimize the wastefulness that Winky may cause by being born, I am going to try to waste not, want not in all possible areas. Case in point #1: cloth diapers. My take: if I'm not going to work for a year (as in for an employer), I figure that I can make the effort to cloth diaper, saving money (hopefully) and some landfill space. My new job will be Mom, professional laundress. So today I took the plunge and bought my first few cloth diapering items because there is a fantastic coupon for a free cloth diaper (rated #1 on most diaper sites, also very expensive normally). I can tell you, after hitting the "Complete purchase" button, I am simultaneously freaked out and also very very excited. Ready or not, I've dove into the deep end and now I'm gonna pray I don't drown in a sea of cloth diapers and doo-doo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll do great...but be prepared for a formidable effort by Winky (and parents)to prove you wrong in the amount of stuff you accumulate.

Anonymous said...

oh cam I adore you! you give me hope of being a sane parent some day :P also dave and i promise to never ever to send winky any massive plastic and/or battery powered toys... or anything that causes me claustrophobia when our niece/nephews open christmas/bday presents! :)

Cameron said...

Lizzie, you hit the nail on the head. Massive plastic and/or battery powered stuff is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid. I played with paper cups and catalogs that came in the mail and I turned out okay. Baby-stuff detestors unite! :)

Julia said...

I can't wait to hear how the cloth diapering goes. If it goes well for you it's something I would consider someday.

Anonymous said...

I am planning on lots of BIG noisy and battery powered toys for the little one. Many flashing lights, lots of movement and lets not forget the ever popular drum and horn set. A Little Tykes personal cd player with a selection of big band, blue grass and military march music. It is my job as husband of your mother.
:-) M