Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Education of Cameron Lawracy

The last time I visited my friend Kelsey in Georgia, I wrote about how much I was learning from my four-day stay with her. I learned about parboiling, the Pioneer Woman blog, cooking vs. assembling ingredients, why I should cherish my food processor and other things. Trip number is turning out to be equally as informative as the first.

1. Icing vs. Frosting vs. Glaze - These three things are apparently different. Icing and frosting are not synonymous. Frosting is a thicker substance usually with a butter or fat base. Icing is thinner and has a sugar base. Glaze is even thinner.

2. Boxed cakes and mixes are still abhorred and looked upon with general snarkiness in the Peterson household. Consequently I get to eat homemade-from-scratch coconut cupcakes instead. Oh, the humanity!

3. When a soccer player gets the ball kicked through his or her legs, it's called being nutmeg-ed.

4. Some doors in houses are hollow. Never knew this. Thought all doors were some sort of solid wood.

5. Home grown beans grow at least 6 feet tall. Crazy!

6. There is a great way to garden called square foot gardening that eliminates 80% of wasted time and gardening effort and supplies.

I'm sure there's more stuff, but for right now, those have been the topics of my Kelsey/Eli lessons.

1 comment:

James Eli Peterson said...

Come and visit ANYTIME!!! You're a great guest and keep us in the loop for the next few weeks (and thereafter too of course). you know you are a true friend when it doesn't feel like life has skipped a beat after months of separation. kevin can come too next time (if he wants).