Monday, March 10, 2014

My Visit to Saudi Arabia

So I promised you 500 photos of camels, but I reigned myself in and ruthlessly pared down my 500 photos to 65. Not too bad, I say. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone OD-ing on camel-viewing.

Let's jump into this dromedary adventure, shall we?

(Like how I just threw that crazy "dromedary" word right atcha? That's a one-hump camel, for you non-zoologically-inclined individuals.)

 photo DSC_0285_zpsf0290996.jpg

Bam! How ya like them apples? That enough camel for ya? No?

Me neither.

So anywho, my trip to Saudi Arabia was awesome. Amazing. Enlightening. Eye-opening. Fascinating. It's my new favorite place. I would go back in a heartbeat. (Maybe I will...more on that later.)

It was unlike any place I've ever been. It's not at all the terrorist-filled sandbox that Fox News led me to believe. Yes, there is sand. And camels. And women in abayas (pronounced uh-BUY-uh). But there are also really cool architecture, beautiful dune-scapes, HUGE malls (these are massive), cuisine from everywhere, a surprising number of ex-patriots from the U.S. and other countries, and yes, camels.

I had a blast.

I started my visit in Bahrain, a little island country to the northeast of Saudi. It's like Saudi without the same laws.

 photo DSC_0173_zps5701b37b.jpg

Here is Vanna Kevin, pointing to where we were currently standing.

 photo DSC_0168_zps61293dc3.jpg

We toured a mosque and got a personal tour and lesson about being Muslim from a very nice Muslim guy.

 photo DSC_0187_zps5c9ff0a4.jpg

 photo DSC_0203_zps6a2b4ff5.jpg

Inside a mosque, people must remove their shoes and women must wear an abaya and cover their heads.

 photo DSC_0204_zps153a40c7.jpg

It was quite fascinating to learn what Muslims believe and how it relates to Christianity. Very eye-opening.

The Arabian Gulf (also known to Americans as the Persian Gulf) is beautiful. Water that looks like the Caribbean.

 photo DSC_0215_zpsee36dee1.jpg

We went to the desert and saw all the oil lines piping oil to the refineries.

 photo DSC_0243_zps1655bca9.jpg

Then we went to a camel farm, a.k.a. Cameron's favorite part of the trip.

 photo DSC_0270_zps78be2038.jpg

 photo DSC_0327_zps915406dc.jpg

You guys, this place was giant. 600 camels. 50 baby camels. The King of Bahrain owned them all. Crazy.

 photo DSC_0338_zps6a21bcfb.jpg

 photo DSC_0354_zps74d1aaf1.jpg

Then we left Bahrain after my visa was ready and headed across a very long bridge to Saudi Arabia.

We went "camping" (I use that term loosely - basically it was hotel accommodations without actual hotel walls) at a Saudi guy's farm/land/property.

 photo DSC_0385_zps1890ac22.jpg

 photo DSC_0393_zpse702aaa8.jpg

 photo DSC_0402_zpsb0a85061.jpg

I was accosted by a very friendly camel who decided my hair would make an excellent snack.

 photo DSC_0427_zps9e05aa8f.jpg

 photo DSC_0433_zps7528e79b.jpg

We slept inside these HUGE carpet-covered tents. It was cold at night, but very cozy inside.

 photo DSC_0443_zps8b0271f9.jpg

The next day we took a dune buggy out and tooled around the desert and happened upon some camels.

 photo DSC_0451_zpsb30f51a8.jpg

 photo DSC_0458_zps6e022f6c.jpg

 photo DSC_0470_zps91d35ffd.jpg

Then we came upon some more camels.

 photo DSC_0546_zps521e1222.jpg

And some more.

 photo DSC_0554_zpsba09877f.jpg

(That's a Bedouin herder in charge of herding the camels.)

Then we went four-wheeling out on the dunes.

 photo DSC_0562_zps50dbc058.jpg

It was a bit scarier than I thought it would be. The dunes are deceptively big (and Kevin informed me that the ones we went to weren't even very big compared to other ones he's seen).

 photo DSC_0557_zps13bb108e.jpg

The sand plays tricks on your eyes and it's very difficult to gauge how big dips and cliffs are. I learned by accident that having a helmet is a must (thankfully my helmet was on when I learned this lesson).

The rest of my visit comprised of Kevin and me visiting with the friends he has made there and eating out and just driving around and looking at stuff.

Overall it was one of the best vacations I've ever had. I missed our girls terribly, but it was so nice to spend that much time with Kevin. Luckily he'll be home in 2 months and hopefully we will know some time soon where we will be moving to. Maybe it'll be Saudi Arabia...




6 comments:

kelsey said...

Call me. I want to chat some more. Loved the pics. But really? that's it??? ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun trip...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer Alyse said...

Looks like an amazing trip! Glad you had fun and I love the camels!!!

Jess said...

I love these pictures!! When I think of all the places I want to travel Saudi has never made the list but I think you've convinced me!! So many new and different experiences to be had there. Very cool!