Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Three Kinds of Bakin'

I am by no means a baker. When I try to make something, sometimes it turns out well; other times, not so much. I don't know whether it's semi-related to pregnancy nesting urges of what, but I've been in a makin' and bakin' mood lately (but not a cleaning mood, so that leads me to believe it's not nesting-related). As I was sitting here getting ready to type this post, I realized that I've kind of being doing three kinds of baking today/lately (if you really stretch the meaning of "baking"). Luckily, I've been pleasantly surprised with the outcomes of all three (so far). I'll describe them and show you pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

1. I'm baking a baby. Here's me at 36 weeks. I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow which means I'll be full term which means at any point now Winky's timer could go off and it'll be time to take the cake out of the oven, so to speak.



2. I baked a cake from scratch today for my dad. It's a Black Walnut cake (his favorite flavor). It's my first cake in my endeavor to bake all the cakes in the book All Cakes Considered by Melissa Gray (an excellent read, by the way). Pardon my pride, but I'm very proud of my not-perfect, but beautiful in my eyes nevertheless because I'm its "mother", cake.



3. I'm "baking" a veggie garden (there's heat, water, and ingredients involved - that's kinda baking). I have about 6 tomatoes that are growing quite nicely, my zucchini are flowering like crazy, my peppers are taaaallllll, and my cinnamon basil has lovely purple flowers all over it.

So there you have it. My three kinds of bakin'. Yay!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Your cake (ie Black Walnut) looks done and scrumptious. Your other cake (ie, Winky) looks just about done and not scrumptious as I am not a cannibal. However, if I were, I bet Winky would look scrumptious too!

kelsey said...

your cake looks GREAT! did it taste as well as it looks? i hope so. and i'm so jealous your plants are doing so well! p.s. i really need to call you. i've had your dumb package for like 2 weeks and have yet to send it your way. :(